We manage personal information (both solicited and unsolicited) in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 and Australian Privacy Principles. This policy applies to information collected by Essential Recruitment & Consult.
This policy sets out how Essential Recruitment & Consult aims to protect the privacy of personal information, your rights in relation to your personal information managed by Essential Corporation and the way Essential Recruitment & Consult collects, holds, uses and discloses your personal information. This policy may be updated from time to time.
You are under no obligation to provide your personal information to Essential Recruitment & Consult. However, without certain information from you, or where information provided is inaccurate or irrelevant, Essential Recruitment & Consult may not be able to provide its services to you.
Kind of information that we collect and hold:
Personal information that we collect and hold is information that is reasonably necessary for the proper performance of our functions and activities as a human resources services company, and is likely to differ depending on whether you are:
a work seeker
Personal information includes sensitive information. Sensitive information is a special category of personal information (ie. information about your health, medical history or specific condition, criminal record, professional memberships etc). The type of personal information that we typically collect and hold includes:
- resumes and cover letters
- proof of identity
- personal details
- qualifications and professional associations
- references – work performance feedback
- skills assessment
- criminal history
- drivers licence, forklift licence or other vehicular licence
- confirmation of ability to work in Australia including residency or visa details
- payroll information including banking details, superannuation fund, tax file number and date of birth
- client company information
Some laws such as taxation law, immigration law, laws regulating employment agencies, laws relating to national security, laws relating to professional or trade registration and laws for the protection of certain classes of people (such as children or the elderly), may require that we collect certain types of information (including criminal history and evidence of your right to work) from you that is relevant to the position/s for which you may be applying.
Purposes for collecting, holding, using and disclosing your personal information:
- Information that we collect, hold, use and disclose about you is typically used to provide our services to you and / or our clients, including:
- to assist in your work placement
- to manage our client and business relationships
- to assist our clients with recruitment
- for statistical purposes and statutory compliance requirements
- to assist with career guidance or management
- to assist in paying you
- accessing government funded wage subsidies and employer incentives
- to inform you of possible work opportunities, or other events such as training or information sessions
- for us to manage and resolve any complaint, workplace incident, workplace injury or investigation in which you are involved
- to undertake criminal history checks, if required
- for our direct marketing to you
- to comply with any law, rule, regulation, lawful and binding determination, decision or direction of a regulator, or in cooperation with any governmental authority
Essential Recruitment & Consult may use and disclose your personal information in order to inform you of products and services that we believe may be of interest to you. In the event you do not wish to receive such communications, you can opt-out by contacting Essential Recruitment & Consult via the contract details set out below or through any opt-out mechanism contained in any marketing communications with you.
How your personal information is collected and held:
Personal information will be collected about you directly when:
- you provide us with your resume or any other information in connection with your application for employment
- we conduct reference and background checks on you
- we receive results of criminal history checks
- we receive results from any competency tests in which you participate
- we undertake a VEVO check to assess your eligibility to work within Australia
- we receive any feedback from or about you in the workplace
- we receive information from your employer for the provision of career assessments for candidates receiving our outplacement services
- we collect personal information about you from a range of publicly available sources including newspapers, journals, directories, the internet and social media sites
Personal information is held in our Information Record System until it is no longer needed for any purpose for which it may be used or disclosed, at which time it will be de-identified or destroyed, provided that it is lawful for us to do so.
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. All personal and sensitive information collected from or about you is treated as confidential with Essential Recruitment & Consult. No unauthorised person is permitted access to it. Hard copy documents containing such information are held in files that are situated in locations, within our premises, which negate the possibility of casual access by unauthorised persons.
Access & Correction:
If you wish to obtain access to your personal information you should contact our Privacy Officer. You will need to be in a position to verify your identity. There are a number of exceptions in which we may not grant access. These include that giving access would: infringe the privacy of other individuals; be unlawful or pose a serious threat to life or health & safety; be considered vexatious or frivolous; amongst other reasons detailed in the Australian Privacy Principles.
If you find that personal information that we hold about you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, you can ask us to correct it. We will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to correct that information to ensure that, having regard to the purpose for which it is held, the information is accurate, up to date, complete, relevant and not misleading.
If we have disclosed personal information about you that is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, you can ask us to notify the third parties to whom we made the disclosure and we will take such steps (if any) as are reasonable in the circumstances to give that notification, unless it is impracticable or unlawful to do so.
Complaints & Enquiries:
You have a right to complain about our handling of your personal information if you believe that we have interfered with your privacy. If you are making a complaint about our handling of your personal information it should first be made to us in writing. You can make complaints about our handling of your personal information to our Privacy Office – email, Contact Us